Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Due

due [doo]– adjective
1. owed at present; having reached the date for payment: This bill is due.
2. rightful; proper; fitting: due care; in due time.
3. under engagement as to time; expected to be ready, be present, or arrive; scheduled: The plane is due at noon.

Today I am officially "due." Which means I have "reached the date for payment" and that my baby is "expected to be ready and to arrive." But I have to agree with those who view a due date as merely the mid-point in a "due month." After all, it's perfectly normal for babies to be born 2 weeks before or after their expected due date. So I'm not too phased by the thought that today could come and go with no baby. This weekend is looking more probable to me as a potential delivery time, but that too is just a feeling.

I've been thinking about how pregnancy is such a cool image of our waiting for Christ's return. The sense of longing, the looking for sign, the burning desire to meet a person you love but have never seen face to face.

Lord, may I long to see You, long for your coming, look eagerly for the signs, remembering that only the Father knows the day and the hour. I want to see you, Lord. May this longing for my baby's birth be a shadow of the desire I have for Your arrival.

No comments: